Monday, April 13, 2009

YIKES!!! My boss found my resume....

Well... No not yet! But what happens if that really does happen?

Social networking has become the "way" to mingle and network and that is great especially in this day and age when most of us spend the majority of our time in front of a computer. Linked In, Gobignetwork.com and even Facebook have become vital tools in job search nowadays, replacing the traditional meet and greet events where suits and coktails are a plenty and small talk is abundant and sometimes forced and uncomfortable. So as we move through these social websites trying to land our next career move I can't help but wonder how it could backfire on all our good proactive intentions.

I update my linked in profile and updated my resume, but in doing that the pit in my stomach grows bigger and bigger since I know that my boss looks at those networks. Do I want him to know that I am "looking"? What would happen if he does know? How secure do I feel doing this? Should I be doing this? How can this affect me?

In these uncertain times it's a catch 22 when utilizing social networks for a job search. EVERYONE is somehow connected TO EVERYONE. So while I am trying to keep moving up in my career I can't help but wonder if throwing it out there, in the social network world, that you are looking for a new job could possible hurt you in the meantime.

2 comments:

  1. I'm lucky in that I have developed such an honest relationship with my supervisor that I openly discuss my plans to leave next year - it would be a bit silly not to, since she'd know when I quit that I'd been planning it for ages (due to immigration and whatnot). But I think in this day and age, most of us should have some presence on the web, if not a full on personalized vanity URL website, at least a well thought out LinkedIn profile. You can set it so that it doesn't say you're looking for work (if you're ever questions) but you can start using it as your online rolodex. If the boss is on there looking around, they are essentially recognizing that it's a worthwhile place to be. You should be there! You are after all representing your current employer as long as it says Present by the company name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often wonder that as well. But i would hope that since LinkedIn is viewed more as an overall networking site that perhaps it won't be automatically assumed that you're looking for a job so much as keep current with the technology and look good in the professional community. I'm not quite sure with all the functions of LinkedIn but does it say somewhere that you are looking for a job? Hopefully your efforts will not backfire and you will be able to utilize these tools and land a great new job!

    ReplyDelete