Sunday, April 19, 2009

I am part of the internet culture... and proud of it!

Have you ever wondered what life would be like without the technologically advanced luxuries that are presented to us these days? Can you remember what it was like to go back to flipping through yellow pages to find a phone number or having to look for a payphone to make a call? Breaking news reached us next day through the newspapers next day or through the late night news in the evening. So yes it is true that no one died from living their life like that, and it is true that people managed to be innovative and informative but I must say having the internet at your fingertips with the vast pool of information makes things so much more convinient.

As I am making a lamb roast... yes I am attempting to cook hahahaha, I reach for my laptop for the best recipie out there and for someone who has NEVER cooked one I appreciate the vast advices that are coming at me through my search. And NO I do not want the EXPERT advice, although it is appreciated if it is out there. In some way I am thankful for the whole LAMB RECIPIE culture out there because once I was curious enough I found that there is an internet LAMB RECIPIE culture.

The talk of internet making us more stupid is just propostorous to me. If people are ignorant to begin with then no amount of information in front of their noses will make them more intelligent than they are. If there is no desire to seek out more information on the topics of interests then nothing will motivate such brains to get curious. If anything, the internet allows us to make educational decisions for ourselves through filtering the vast information that is out there. Contrasting and comparing different views and opinions, different sites and sources, the process of elimination is what helps to make educational decisions. So how can someone say that internet makes us more stupid? All I know is that I am part of the internet culture.... AND PROUD OF IT!

2 comments:

  1. Bronislava, I totally know how it is without the interet. After living in the States for 9 years and getting used to the technology and using the internet for everything , I went back home to visit before the finals were over last summer. I had to submit a final from overseas where the internet is so unreliable, and creepingly slow. I was so frustrated, could not connect most of the time to fill my final. I was not able to even use google. That was the most horrifying experience I know. I guess we take it for granted in this country that I really forgot how it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bronislava, I definitely agree with you! The Internet for sure does not make us dumb. It's convenient and all the information you ever wanted right at your finger tips. I have also used the Internet for recipes - foodchannel.com . I mean why not, there are so many different postings for the same recipe and you can choose which one you want! Its great! I have cooked some dishes that I might have otherwise not put together if I didn't have the Internet to search for some of my favorite dishes. So agreed - Internet definitely does not make us dumb! For all those that think otherwise are not open minded enough!

    ReplyDelete